The Department of Biochemistry is located in the first floor of college block. The department is headed by an experienced, dedicated biochemist and assisted by qualified faculty members. The department focuses on three major areas, teaching, clinical work and research. The department has started postgraduate course since 2013. The faculty of biochemistry department is actively involved in teaching undergraduates and postgraduates. The department provides an excellent atmosphere for the faculty and students to pursue interactive and enjoyable learning.
The clinical biochemistry laboratory is situated in the first floor of hospital block. It provides extensive 24 hours laboratory services in the broad domain of clinical chemistry and endocrinology. It is equipped with state-of-art fully automated equipments. Our department is in collaboration with other agencies like CMC Vellore and BioRad for external and internal quality assurance programmes respectively. Qualified faculty personnel are posted to monitor the quality control program, conduct delta check and release the reports. The department has separate research lab with adequate infrastructure and equipment for doing research work.
- To outline the significance of the role of Biochemistry in health and disease
- To develop this department into a Centre of Excellence in the area of Medical Education Technologies
- To get the National Accreditation (NABL)
- To set up a State of art “molecular biology laboratory”, keeping in mind the rapid advances in the field of Molecular Biology.
The faculty will endeavor hard keeping the health care society in mind to meet the eminence in all areas without compromising probity.
Our department regularly conducts/organizes
- Chennai Medical College Journal Club (CJC), Professional Development Programme (PDP) for the 1st M.B.B.S students, Mentoring programmes for students to improve their academic performance, Continuous laboratory technology teaching programme (CLTTP), to phlebotomists and lab technicians, Faculty development programme (FDP), Guest lectures to share, update, discuss about the recent trends in medical field, in evidence based manner.
- The department issues a CBC newsletter highlighting the value of clinical biochemistry services and creating awareness about laboratory medicine for the benefit of clinicians, intern, postgraduates and also for stake holders like patients.
Message from HOD
I am extremely pleased to forward this message on behalf of the department of biochemistry. We are proud to represent one of the fascinating fields in medicine that deals with all biochemical process at the molecular level in health and disease. The department conducts UG (MBBS) programme with an annual intake of 150 students and PG (MD Biochemistry) Programme with an annual intake of 3 PG students. Apart from academic activities, the department offers clinical biochemistry laboratory services at the hospital that cater to the needs of the patients. All routine and lifesaving investigations are performed at the 24 hours emergency laboratory. Tests are performed using modern state-of-art automated equipments to provide accurate and timely reports to enhance patient care. We have an excellent team of experienced dedicated faculty who share a common vision and passion for teaching. Our students and faculty have significantly participated in the area of medical research and have published their work in indexed journals. I am extremely gratified to lead the team with the goal of making the department a center of excellence in the field of “Medical Education Technologies” and in molecular biology.