Services Offered by the Department
The central laboratory of Microbiology offers diagnostic services to both outpatients and inpatients attending medical college and hospital. The details are as follows:
- Direct Microscopy
- Gram stain b) AFB Stain c) KOH Mount d) Motion Ova Cyst e) Modified Acid-fast Stain f) Dark ground microscopy for Spirochetes g) Fluorescence microscopy for M.tuberculosis
- Culture & Sensitivity testfor bacteria from clinical samples and culture for fungi.
- Serological tests – rapid assays for HIV, HBV, HCV, Latex test for ASO, CRP, Rheumatoid factor, Widal, RPR and MX Tests. ELISA test is available for HIV, HBV, HCV, Dengue and Leptospirosis. The microscopic agglutination test (MAT) test for confirmation of the leptospiral serovars is also available with 16 serovars.
- Water and Environmental analysis (Student Hostel, OT’s, Hospital sump & dialysis unit), microbiological surveillance of OT & wards (ICU) and blood bag sterility tests are conducted periodically and OT air sterility.
Quality services to Hospital
- Infection control and management
- Biomedical waste management